Its strawberry season here in California!! I have been buying tons of fruit lately, and I had some strawberries that were on their last leg so I decided to bake with them. I had seen this recipe a few weeks ago and really wanted to make it. I didn't measure out the strawberries, just cut up what I had and pureed them. What I loved most about the cupcake was the lemon zest. Definitely don't skip that ingredient. The cake is more dense them some cupcake recipes, but the flavor is amazing. The buttercream is very sweet too and I didn't even add all the sugar. I have seen some recipes with a Swiss Meringue buttercream and I wish I had made that, but don't get me wrong, this is a good buttercream. It is a thicker buttercream, so I didn't pipe on the frosting. I wanted a more organic look so I used a spatula to swirl it around. Also, this recipe will make your kitchen smell amazing. Hope you like it!!
The Best Summer Cupcake EVER!!
Strawberry Cupcake Recipe - Adapted from Picky Cook
Yield: 12 Cupcakes
2/3 Cup Whole Fresh or Frozen Strawberries, thawed (I used fresh)
1 1/2 Cup Flour
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Cup Whole Milk, room temperature
1 1/2 Teaspoons Vanilla
Zest of 1 Lemon
1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter, room temperature
1 Cup Sugar
1 Egg, room temperature
2 Egg Whites, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a cupcake pan with liners and set aside.
- Place the strawberries in a food processor and chop them up until pureed. I would recommend pureeing the 1/2 cup of strawberries for the frosting at the same time.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the milk, vanilla, lemon zest, and strawberry puree. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter at medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add the Sugar and continue to cream.
- At low speed, add the egg and egg whites and mix just until blended.
- Slowly add half the flour mixture, then add the milk mixture, and then the last of the flour, mixing just until blended. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Divide the batter among the 12 cupcake liners. Bake for 19-21 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
Sprinkles Strawberry Frosting
1/2 Cup frozen strawberries, or 3 tablespoons of puree
1 Cup Unsalted Butter, firm and slightly cold
1 Pinch of Salt
3 Cups of Powdered Sugar
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- Place strawberries in the bowl of a small food processor; process until pureed.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together butter and salt on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Reduce mixer speed and slowly add confectioners' sugar; beat until well combined. Add vanilla and 3 tablespoons strawberry puree, mix until just blended.
- Do not over mix or frosting will incorporate too much air. Frosting consistency should be dense and creamy, like ice cream.
- Frost the cupcakes, then ENJOY!!