Thursday, February 23, 2012

Skittles Infused Vodka

I know this isn't what I normally post on my blog but I had so many people ask me for the recipe that I wanted to post it anyway.  This was a gift for my co-worker for her 21st birthday.  I ran across this recipe on Pinterest and immediately knew that my coworker would love this because she loves Skittles.  I am not going to lie, it was a pain in the rear to make.  The skittles all dissolve in the vodka, but then you have to strain out the white stuff left behind.  I bought coffee filters but they didn't work very well.  Maybe it would have been easier with cheese cloth or another straining method, but it took me a few hours to get the vodka free of floating white stuff.  The colors are very vibrant and they have great flavor and smell, but if you are going to make this, set aside a few hours.  I have heard Jolly Rancher Vodka is delicious too but way easier to make because there is no straining involved.  Ill keep you posted when I make the Jolly Rancher version.

Waiting for the Skittles to dissolve...



Adapted from -  Mixthatdrink.com
Yield: 5 - 8oz Bottles of Vodka
Ingredients:
  •  1.75 L Of Vodka - Dont use the cheap stuff, and you dont have to use the fancy stuff, something in between is perfect - I used Svedka
  • Five 8.5 ounce flasks or bottles - I just used glass bottles I found at the grocery store.
  • One 14oz Bag of Skittles
  • Five empty plastic water bottles
  • A funnel- I didnt use this....
  • Bowls for separating the Skittles into flavors - I just sorted them on a paper towel
  • A measuring cup (not pictured)
  • Coffee filters or paper towels
Directions:
  1. You’ll also want to cover your workspace with newspaper or freezer paper – this infusion can get messy. If you’re making a different sized batch, here’s the formula you need to know: I used 65 Skittles to 7 ounces of vodka, which yields about 8 ounces of infused vodka.
  2. Start by simply separating the Skittles into flavors. You want 60 of each.
  3. Fill your water bottles with 6 ounces of vodka each. It doesn’t need to be exact – you can always even it out later by pouring in a bit more vodka to the ones that come out with less.
  4. Pour the Skittles of one flavor into one infusion bottle, then pour the next flavor of Skittles into the next infusion bottle, and so on until all five bottles have a pile of Skittles soaking in the vodka.
  5. Now your infusion bottles all have Skittles in the bottom. Give each bottle a good shake – the more, the better. In my picture here, you can see that the colored candy coating has already rubbed off into the vodka, but the white insides of the Skittles still have a lot of dissolving to do. After shaking them, set them aside for a few hours. It’s a good idea to shake them again then, especially if you’re making a bigger batch. My Skittles all dissolved overnight.
  6. Once they’re all dissolved, you’ll notice a lot of white muck floating at the top. We’ll take care of this in Step 6.
    1. here are a number of ways to strain this stuff and get all the white gunk out. Some people prefer paper towels, but I used coffee filters and found they worked just as well. I put a strainer inside a measuring cup.
    2. Then I put four coffee filters in the funnel. It’s hard to say exactly how many you’ll need, since not all coffee filters are exactly the same. I’ll tell you one thing I did learn, though: orange and green needed more filtration than the others. I discovered this when I thought I was finished, and found a little bit of white stuff still floating in those two flavors. No problem, though: I just strained them again through one more coffee filter, and that took care of it. So if you find you haven’t strained it thoroughly enough, the good news is: you can always fix that later
    3. Then I poured one of the infusions into my strainer setup. I had to pour about a quarter of my infusion in, then wait for some of it to soak through, then pour another quarter in, until I was done. (If the strainer clogs with white gunk, use a spoon to scrape the white gunk out of the way.) In the end, you’ll have about 8 ounces of Skittle infused vodka.
  7. Then I took the liquid from the measuring cup and poured it into a flask.
  8. Repeat this process for each flavor.
  9. Stick them in the freezer for several hours until chilled. Serve as a shot or in a mixed drink. 

4 comments: