Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Browned Butter Brownies

So i have been seeing a lot of recipes with "browned butter" in the name.  I decided that i must jump on the band wagon and try it myself.   Basically this recipe is a regular brownie recipe but the cool thing is that you make/mix it all in a sauce pan, and i think it has a richer and more distinct flavor due to the browned butter.  I think i cooked this batch a little too long because they are not as gooey as i had hoped but that is my fault.  Overall, this is a very delicious from scratch brownie recipe!

 


This recipe is adapted from Doughmesstic


Recipe: Yield about 16 brownies
10 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
1 1/4 Cup Sugar
2 Teaspoons Water
A Dash of Cinnamon
3/4 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Salt (recipe called for sea salt but I used regular and just added a bit more)
2 Teaspoons Vanilla
2 Eggs
1/2 Cup Flour
1/3 Cup Chocolate Chips ( I just chopped up a dark chocolate bar that I had)


Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 325.  Line an 8×8 square pan with parchment or foil, leaving an overhang on two sides for easy removal.  Spray the prepared pan liberally with PAM.
  2. Place the butter in a small pot, and melt over medium heat, stirring constantly.  Butter will get foamy, and eventually start to brown and smell nutty.  Be careful not to burn.  Total time should be 6-8 minutes.
  3. Once browned, remove from heat and immediately add the sugar, cocoa, 2 teaspoons water, cinnamon, sea salt and vanilla. Stir to combine.
  4. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes, then add in the eggs one at a time, whisking vigorously after each addition.  Mixture will become shiny and thick. 
  5.  At this point, stir in the flour and beat vigorously for 2 minutes. Stir in chocolate chips.
  6. Pour into prepared pan, and bake for 20-25 minutes - could be longer depending on your oven, up to 30 minutes.  Brownies will be gooey, but will firm up once cooled.  Allow to cool in pan, then remove from pan by lifting them out with the parchment/foil overhang.
  7. Enjoy with a cup of milk!!
YUMMY

7 comments:

  1. I've been seeing a lot of these browned butter brownies popping up all over the place too. Its popularity has definitely caught my interest. They sound absolutely fantastic. Thanks for linking this up to Sweets for a Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious. I love the cup of milk in the background. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brownies....my favorite food group. Looks yummy.

    Stopping by from Sweets For Saturday.

    ~Bibi @ Frugal WannaBe Cooks ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been dying to make brownies and these sound wonderful.

    I'm hosting a sweet-inspired recipe linky and I'd love to have you share your recipe on Sweet Tooth Friday. I hope to see you there! http://alli-n-son.com/2011/02/03/chocolate-toffee/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the density of these brownies! They also look sooo chocolatey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet the butter just makes the richness of these just so perfect! Thanks for sharing with the Decidedly Healthy or Horridly Decadent blog hop.

    ReplyDelete