Wednesday, June 8, 2011

S'mores Cupcakes

Yesterday I posted the s'mores cookies and so today I wanted post s'mores cupcakes.   I made these over a year ago before I had my blog.  The pictures are pretty terrible, but its the recipe that is important.  These are from Bakerella, and they are amazing.  The cupcake has three parts, half chocolate, and half graham cracker, then there is a marshmallow in the middle!  Now the first time I made these, the marshmallow came up and melted everywhere while baking and it was a huge mess!  So the second time I made these I used mini marshmallows and it was better.  I would also recommend freezing them, I think that would help with the melting problem.  The mini marshmallows are easier for decorating the top as well.   Anyway, if you love s'mores, you will love these.  The cookies are easier, but the cupcakes are so yummy.  I hope you enjoy these!


I forgot the topping on some of them...





S'mores Cupcakes - Adapted from Bakerella
Yield: About 20 cupcakes
Cupcake Ingredients:
1 1/2 Cup Flour
1 1/2 Cup Sugar
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
3/4 Cup Cocoa
3/4 Cup Graham Cracker Crumbs
1 Cup Milk
2 Eggs
2 Teaspoons Vanilla
1/2 Cup Oil
Mini Marshmallows, frozen ones for inside the cupcakes, and room temperature ones for topping


Graham Cracker Crumb Topping Ingredients:
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Graham Cracker Crumbs
1/4 Cup Butter, melted



Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda together with a wire whisk.  Separate the mixture in half into two bowls.
  3. Stir cocoa into one bowl and the graham cracker crumbs into the other.
  4. Add 1/2 cup milk, 1 egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1/4 cup oil to the cocoa mixture and beat on medium until combined.
  5. Repeat adding the same ingredients to the graham cracker crumb flour mixture.
  6. Prepare the graham cracker crumb topping.  Add the brown sugar and crumbs in a small bowl and pour on the melted butter. Stir until combined.
  7. Pour a little graham cracker cake batter into the bottom of your baking cups and then sprinkle the topping mixture lightly on the surface.
  8. Place a 2 frozen mini marshmallows and then cover the marshmallow with the chocolate cake batter until it is about 3/4 full.
  9. Sprinkle with more topping mixture. Bake cupcakes for about 15 minutes. Place a cookie sheet underneath when you bake just in case. I had a little bit ooze over into the oven. Oops.
  10. This recipe will make at least 18 cupcakes. I had a some batter from each left over so you can probably get more like 20-22.
Chocolate Ganache Ingredients:
1/2 Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate - I used chocolate chips
1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
1/2 Cup Butter, unsalted


Directions:
  1. When the cupcakes are cool start the ganache.
  2. Heat the butter and cream on the stove. Heat until just before it boils. Remove and pour over chocolate. Stir until completely melted and smooth.
  3. Pour over cupcakes and add more marshmallows if you desire.
  4. Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. They are so irrestible! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the s'mores kick that you're on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE smores...it's the sole reason for camping! I must go make a microwaved one to kill my craving after reading your recipe. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi, i found you via Sweet as Sugar sweets link up & cant wait to try this one as they sound yummy
    [as an Aussie i had never heard of s'mores before lol]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seen loads of smores treats around recently these look so good. Smores are something we dont really get in the uk so I'm trying to figure out what to use in replace of graham crackers

    ReplyDelete
  6. These need to be in my mouth RIGHT NOW! Wow, they look yummy. :)

    I'd love for you to link this and any other cupcake related post you have at the month long Cupcake Link Party!

    Cheers,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete