Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Choco-nilla Birthday Cake

Its that time of year again, my boyfriends birthday.  Every year I make him a cake and this year I was struggling with an idea.  He is pretty laid back and will eat whatever so that makes it even harder.  I found this cake (a cake for "fence-sitters") and I figured it would be perfect for everybody.  A little chocolate and a little vanilla, nobody can complain.  It was a huge hit and was gone in about 2 days.  I made the banner on the computer from a blank word document because I couldn't find any templates I liked.  It was easy enough, and then I used a needle and double thread to hang it all together.   I am very happy with how it all came out and I hope my boyfriend loved it too!

Happy Birthday Joe!



Idea adapted from Kingarthurflour.com

Chocolate Cake - 
1 Box Devils Food Cake Mix
1 4oz Box of Instant Chocolate Pudding
1 Cup Sour Cream
4 Eggs
1/2 Cup Canola Oil
1/2 Cup Water or Milk

Vanilla Cake
1 Box Vanilla Cake Mix
1 4oz Box of Instant Vanilla Pudding
1 Cup Sour Cream
4 Eggs
1/2 Cup Canola Oil
1/2 Cup Water or Milk

Chocolate Buttercream - MY NEW FAVORITE!
1 Cup (2 Sticks) Butter, Unsalted and Room temp
5 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar
1 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder, sifted
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
2/3 Cup Milk

Directions:
  1. For the cake, follow directions on box but with the listed ingredients. Bake according to the box. I did 4 - 8in pans and it was about 30 minutes each.
  2. For the buttercream, cream the butter with the whisk attachment of your kitchen aid until light and fluffy. Alternate adding the wet ingredients and the dry until everything is in the bowl. Whip up until desired consistency, add more milk if needed. 
  3. Frost you cake, and ENJOY!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the buttercream recipe. Can't wait to try it. (The Sweetest Obsession)

    ReplyDelete