Happy 4th of July!!
I hope everyone has a great holiday. I wanted to make something for the celebration of America, but was a little lazy today. After a hike this morning and a day at the beach, my time and energy was limited. I decided on just a vanilla cupcake with a vanilla buttercream. I wanted to do something fancier, but ill save that for next year. I didn't even have any themed cupcake liners, so I had to use princess ones I have. The cupcake recipe is the same one as the churro cupcake, just without the cinnamon and more vanilla. I loved that cupcake so much I had to make it again. They are so light and fluffy, I think this will be my go to vanilla recipe from now on. The buttercream is pretty basic, but still very delicious. I highly recommend you try this recipe!
Vanilla Cupcakes - Adapted from my Churro Cupcakes
Yield: 12 cupcakes
1/2 Cup Butter, unsalted and room temperature
1 Cups Sugar
2 Large Eggs, separated
1 1/3 Cup Flour
3/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1 Pinch of Salt
1/2 Cup Milk
1 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla
- Preheat your oven to 350˚F and line a muffin tin with baking cups.
- Beat the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer on medium speed. Once the butter is smooth and creamy, turn the mixer to low speed and add the sugar. Keep beating the butter and sugar mixture until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time, making sure to mix well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a small bowl, stir the vanilla into the milk. Alternate adding the flour mixture and the milk mixture to the butter-and-sugar mixture. You’ll want to start and end with the flour, and mix just until incorporated after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, using a hand mixer, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. It’ll be white and foamy. Fold the egg whites into the batter.
- Fill your lined muffin cups about ¾ full of batter. Bake for about 18 minutes or until a cake tester stuck in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool completely.
My Favorite Vanilla Buttercream
1 Cup Butter, unsalted and room temperature
3 Cups Powdered Sugar, sifted
2 Teaspoons Vanilla
1-2 Teaspoons Milk
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat butter on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Reduce mixer speed and slowly add powdered sugar; beat until well combined. Add vanilla and mix until just blended. Add milk until you have the consistence you desire.
- Add coloring if you want to get the red and blue.
- Frost the cupcakes, then ENJOY!!