Thursday, July 7, 2011

Acai Bowl

So I know this is a baking blog, but this is one of my favorite meals and I really wanted to share this!  I have always loved smoothies, but this is 10x's better!  I first tried an Acai bowl a few years ago at a small Brazilian restaurant in Santa Cruz, Ca.  Since then I have been scouting restaurants in California that have them on their menu.  Last summer I found a place in Encinitas, called Lotus Cafe & Juice Bar.  They have delicious Acai Bowls but I am only home in Encinitas every few weeks.   A few weeks ago I found a place in Newport Beach called Nekter Juice Bar.   I had a few from there but I really wanted to just make these at home.  I know you can get these at some of the chain smoothie places, but homemade is always better.  I bought a pack of the Acai Smoothie Mix made by Sambazon, some bananas, frozen berries, blueberries, strawberries, granola, apple juice, soymilk, coconut, and honey.  It seems like a lot of ingredients, but if you eat a lot of fruit, then I bet you already have most of the ingredients.    These only take a few minutes to whip up and its a super healthy summer treat.   My favorite breakfast!!

Nekter Acai Bowl

This bowl is huge, but so DELICIOUS!
My homemade Acai Bowl
Acai Bowl - Me
Yield - 2-3 Person Bowl
Smoothie Ingredients:
1 Package of Acai Smoothie Mix
1 Frozen Banana
1 Cup Frozen Mixed Berries
1 Cup Soymilk or Apple Juice or Almond Milk - Could be more or less depending on thickness

Topping:
1-2 Cups Granola, your favorite type....
1 Banana, sliced
1/4 Cup Blueberries
A few Strawberries sliced
1/4 Cup Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
Honey, drizzled on top

Directions:

  1. Add the frozen acai, frozen berries, frozen banana, and soymilk or apple juice to blender.  Blend on low speeds until you get things moving.  Increase speed to high and blend until smooth but still thick.  
  2. Pick a medium size bowl and put some granola in the bottom.  Pour the smoothie on top.  Add the blueberries, sliced banana, and sliced strawberries.   Put more granola on top, and the shredded coconut.  Drizzle some honey on top.
  3. Enjoy!!

4 comments: