Happy Valentine's Day!!
Scones!! These scones taste like an apple pie, can you say delicious!? I found this recipe in a Martha Stewart magazine and I have been wanting to make them for about a month. My boyfriend had his treat day last week and I thought this would be perfect for him to take to work. Needless to say, they were a huge hit. It's a perfect breakfast treat. So delicious....
Apple & Oat Scones - Adapted from Martha Stewart Living Magazine
Yield: 12 Scones
1 2/3 Cup Flour
1 1/3 Cup Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats, plus more for topping
1/4 Cup + 2 Tablespoons Light Brown Sugar, plus more for topping
1 Heaping Teaspoon Cinnamon
2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
3/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1 1/2 Stick Cold Unsalted Butter, cut into pieces
1 1/2 Cups Granny Smith Apple Chunks, I used 2 large apples cut into 1/4-inch cubes - It was a lot of apple...
2/3 Cup Cold Buttermilk, plus more for brushing
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Whisk together flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender, or rub in with your fingers - The largest pieces should be the size of a pea.
- With your fingers, flatten the butter pieces into small discs. Add the apples and buttermilk, stirring the dough just until it comes together.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Pat dough into a rectangle, cut the dough with a floured knife into 12 pieces, or smaller depending on how many scones you want to make.
- Place on a baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Brush with buttermilk and then sprinkle with sugar and oats.
- Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Let them cool for 10 minutes.
- Enjoy warm or room temperature!!