Monday, January 24, 2011

Hi-Hat Chocolate Banana Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting

So, I was bored today, had a ripe banana, and decided to bake.  The End.






I GOT TWIN CHICKENS!!! This is from one egg!! 
Chocolate Banana Cupcakes - From JoyofBaking.com
Yield about 24
Ingredients:
2 Cups Sugar
1 3/4cups Flour
3/4 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
2 Eggs
1 Cup Ripe Bananas (about 3 medium sized bananas mashed)
1 Cup Warm Water
1/2 Cup Milk (I used soy milk because that is what I had)
1/2 Cup Canola Oil
1 1/2 Teaspoons Vanilla

Directions:
  1. Set oven to 350. 
  2. In small bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. 
  3. In another larger bowl, or with your KitchenAid and paddle attachment, mix together the eggs, banana, water, milk, oil and vanilla. 
  4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix just until combined. 
  5. Scoop the batter into 24 cupcakes, or until they are about 3/4 full. 
  6. Bake for about 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick is inserted in the center and comes out clean. 
  7. If you are going to do hi-hat cupcakes like the ones in the photos, you should freeze the cupcakes in-between putting the frosting on, and the dipping stage. 
  8. Enjoyy! 

Peanut Butter Frosting Recipe - From http://acupfullofcake.blogspot.com/
Yield enough for 12 cupcakes so you might want to double it...
Ingredients:
½ Cup Softened Unsalted Butter
1 Cup Creamy Peanut Butter (skippy or jif is preferred)
2 Cups Powdered Sugar
¼ or so Heavy Cream (I used soy milk)

Directions:
  1. Combine butter with peanut butter and cream add powdered sugar, mixture will be stiff. 
  2. Then add the heavy cream a little at a time until you get the consistency you like for spreading or piping. 
  3. Make sure that the cupcakes are cool before you frost them - even freeze them. 
  4. After they are frosted freeze them!! 
Chocolate Coating Recipe
Ingredients:
2 Cups Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips (or whatever chocolate you have)
2-3 Tablespoons Canola Oil

Directions:
  1. Melt chocolate in a double boilers or in a heat proof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Stir frequently until everything is mixed and smooth. OR microwave the chocolate but be sure to stir it at least every 30 seconds so it doesn't burn. It should take about 2 minutes. 
  2. Once the chocolate is smooth, mix in the canola oil and transfer to a smaller deeper bowl that will be better for dipping. 
  3. Let the chocolate coo for 10-15 minutes before dipping. I put it in the freezer to speed up the process. 
  4. Take frozen cupcakes and dip them quickly into the chocolate then let the excess chocolate drip off for a few seconds. Make sure that you don't get too much chocolate on the top because that will make them too heavy and you could lose your top into the chocolate... that happened to me when i tried to dip one twice. 
  5. Enjoy with a cup of milk! 

P.S. These are amazing cupcakes!! Sooo Delicious!

26 comments:

  1. My gosh, I wish my boredom could yield results like this. I love that picture of the cut portion of your cupcake, swoon. This sounds spectacular. I have a linky party on my blog every week called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by tomorrow and link this up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, those are fabulous looking. So fancy! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to make hi-hat cupcakes for a while! I must try these! Banana and PB seems to be popular this week at Sweets for Saturday- I just made these yummy banana cupcakes with a slightly different PB icing. Very yummy too! :)

    http://www.noraisinsonmyparade.com/2011/01/banana-bo-bana-cupcakes-with-peanut.html

    -Marissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had Hi-Hat cupcakes on my radar for a long time. I REALLY need to make them. LOVE your peanut butter frosting version~YUM! They look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look so delicious and tall. Tall towers os yummy goodness.I really need to find some time to make these beauties.

    Stopping by from Saturday Sweets linky.

    Bibi @ Frugal WannaBe Cooks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uhm, woah? These look incredible. They remind me of soft serve dipped in chocolate. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are three of my favorite flavors in one beautiful cupcake. I hope they don't take too long to make, but I have a felling its worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found your blog via Sweet as Sugar Cookies. This was an entry for Sweets for Saturday. The image really sparked my interest. It looks like you put your banana to good use! These look incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is such a great idea, it looks like a dipped ice cream cone, my kids would love that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow these look amazing and look like they came straight out of a bakery. Great job!! :-) Amazing what results boredom can have ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH MY GOSH! I can't think of anything else to say because I'm drooling! They look amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stopped by via Sweets for a Saturday - I have always wanted to try making these, but I am so scared to lose the frosting in the chocolate when I dip them! Yours look so absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for linking these up to Sweets for a Saturday. Please remember to add my link to your post or to grab my button and add that to your post. Regarding what you mentioned last time about a feature, you've given me a great idea. I really like your goodies (seems like you were one of the most popular links this week) and wanted to ask you if you would like to do a guest posting on my blog. If this sounds like something you'd be interested in, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how these remind me of old-school soft serve cones and Elvis!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Delightful cupcakes, i like the the frosting it looks cute and yummy. Hope to make a perfect one like that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look fabulous, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad they turned out good! I saw on your baking bucket list you had high hat cupcakes from bakerellas website (its a martha stewart recipe) but i wouldn't reccommend making them..atleast not the frosting they use. i made them and it was super grainy then i read other's reviews and they all said the same thing. just thought i'd let ya know!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those are amazing! Peanut butter frosting is one of the greatest things ever. I must try hi-hats. I gaze longingly at them, but remain intimidated. But wow, those look so good that I am going to have to put it on my baking to do list. Soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my.. These are literally all of my favorite things in ONE.
    What an incredible idea!! Cannnnnot wait to try them (Ill be attempting them Gluten and Dairy Free)

    Wanted to invite you to share this amazing recipe at a weekly event I host titled Seasonal Sundays! They fit the theme really well :)

    Happy Sunday!
    -Brittany-

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my goodness my mouth is watering! My eyes even bugged out of my head alittle when I saw the 'cross section' photo. YUM!!!!

    ~Aubree Cherie

    ReplyDelete
  21. These look incredible. I especially love the looks of the peanut butter and chocolate covered tops. They remind me of those soft-serve cones from Dairy Queen that are dipped in chocolate. These are definitely going on my "must-make" list.

    ReplyDelete
  22. just made. these were PERFECT and a big hit. one change i made: as with other hi hat recipes, the melted chocolate does better with 2-3 TABLESPOONS of oil. that allows the covering to be lighter and show the beautiful frosting ripples better. GREAT recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for correcting me on the teaspoons, i fixed the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your post made me laugh. I like the description at the top.

    ReplyDelete
  25. And I'm def trying these! YUMMMMMM

    ReplyDelete