Sunday, October 23, 2011

Nutella Scones

Friday was treat day again for my boyfriend at his work.  I had to work late on Thursday so we started making these at 10:30 at night.  I was reading though all the ingredients and making the dough and put them in the oven.  I had a sneaking suspicion I had done something wrong.  I notice the recipe said 3/4 stick of butter, not 3/4 cup of butter.  So I accidentally doubled the amount of butter in these but I don't think anyone noticed.  They weren't the correct texture for a scone, but they were chocolaty and filled with Nutella, so who can complain!?


I forgot to take photos, my boyfriend took these at his work on his iPhone.
Nutella Scones - Adapted from I'll Have What She's Having
Yield - 16 Scones
Ingredients:
2 Cups Flour
1/4 Cup Sugar
1/4 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
6 Tablespoons (3/4 stick) COLD Unsalted Butter, cut into chunks - This is where i went wrong!!
1 Egg
1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
3/4 Cup Toasted Hazelnuts, coarsely chopped - I didn't use nuts.
1/2 Cup Nutella
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicon mat, or nothing if you use Airbake - I am obsessed with my Airbake! 
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the butter to the flour. Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour until the chunks of butter become pea sized and the flour holds together when squeezed.
  3. Whisk the cream and egg together. While mixing, slowly pour the cream mixture into the flour mixture until the dough just comes together. Stir in the hazelnuts, if you choose to use them.
  4. Then pour the dough onto a floured surface. Knead the dough into a 6 inch by 12 inch rectangle (doesn’t have to be exact).
  5. Spread 1/4 cup (I used a little more!) of the Nutella over the dough, then roll it into a cylinder. Flatten the cylinder into a disk, then slice it into wedges (16).  They start small and expand a lot in the oven!
  6. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes.
  7. Once baked, place on a cooling rack. Warm the remaining 1/4 cup Nutella, then drizzle it over the cooling scones.
  8. Enjoy!!

3 comments: