I found these stencils at Michael's. They are Martha Stewart and are so fun for Halloween! I did a chocolate cookie with powdered sugar, but you could also do a regular sugar cookie and use cocoa powder for the stencils. You can also use them on cupcakes!
Chocolate Rolled Cookies - Adapted from All Recipes
Yield: Depends on cookie cutter size...
1 1/2 cup flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)3/4 cup butter
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg and 1 egg yolk
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and egg yolk. Add the vanilla.
- Gradually stir in the sifted ingredients to form a soft dough. Divide dough into 2 pieces, flatten and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/8 inch in thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Dough is sticky so be sure to add more flour to the rolling surface as needed. Place cookies 1 1/2 inches apart onto cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To use the stencils, place the stencil on the cookie and sift some powdered sugar on them.