Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Spiced Pumpkin Cupcakes for Halloween

CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO CHECK OUT MY NEW WEBSITE!!


I have a confession to make.  I have never made cream cheese frosting.  Big mistake, because now I love it!!  My previous philosophy was cream cheese was only meant to go on bagels, but now I know its delicious on cupcakes too!   A coworker asked me to make something with pumpkin in it, so I found this recipe and wanted to do a Halloween theme.  I wasn't thrilled with the pumpkin idea at first, but I figured then I wouldn't eat them.  Big problem, these cupcakes are so good I cant stop eating them.  Even my boyfriend cringed at the idea of a pumpkin cupcake with cream cheese frosting, but after one bite, he loved it and ate the whole cupcake!  The flavor in the cupcake is amazing with all the spices and pumpkin flavor.  Its a dense cupcake, almost muffin like, and not very sweet.  The cream cheese frosting adds a rich and creamy flavor and brings everything together perfectly.  This is a perfect fall treat, and the decoration is fun for Halloween!! 







Spiced Pumpkin Cupcakes - Adapted from Annies Eats
Yield: about 24-30 cupcakes
Ingredients:
2 2/3 Cups Flour
2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
2 Teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
¼ Teaspoon Nutmeg
¼ Teaspoon Ground Cloves
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 (15 oz. Can) Pumpkin Puree
1 Cup Sugar
1 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
1 Cup Canola or Vegetable oil
4 Eggs

For the frosting:
8 oz. Cream Cheese
5 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, room temperature
2 Teaspoons Vanilla
3 Cups Powdered Sugar, sifted

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350. Line cupcake pans with paper liners. 
  2. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt. Set aside. 
  3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, blend together the pumpkin, granulated sugar, brown sugar and oil. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. 
  4. With the mixture on low speed, add the flour mixture in two additions, mixing just until incorporated.
  5. Fill the cupcake liners about 2/3 full. Bake until the cupcakes are golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 18-20 minutes. 
  6. Transfer the pans to a wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes, then remove the cupcakes from the pans and let cool completely.
  7. To make the frosting, combine the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on medium-high speed until well combined and smooth, about 2-3 minutes. 
  8. Mix in the vanilla extract. Gradually beat in the confectioners’ sugar until totally incorporated, increase the speed and then beat until smooth. Frost cooled cupcakes as desired.
  9. Enjoy!!

12 comments:

  1. Welcome to the cream cheese frosting club! You'll never want to go back. ;) These cupcakes are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These Look YUMMY!!! Definitely going to try these...

    ReplyDelete
  3. These cupcakes are very cute!...and spooky too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are adorable! I'm having a party for my kids at school and they would love these-I especially love the candy corn decorations-great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love how you iced the cupcakes. Can't wait to give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look sooo yummy and pretty! I'd hate to eat them after making them so beautiful! Come visit me- www.alivedinhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goodness! I love these cupcakes! The spider webs are awesome! I would love to decorate my Halloween cupcakes like these! Thank you!
    Check out my new blog! http://thatannoyingblogger.blogspot.com/2011/10/halloween-is-comingwe-are-so-ready.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful cupcakes with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great week end and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. These cakes are amazing!!!! We don't really do halloween but when I saw the link on sweet as sugar cookies I just had to stop by for a look!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These were to die for! Thanks for doing a pumpkin cupcake for me! I think I ate one with every meal until they were all gone! My mom said you did an amazing job:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there, these cupcakes are absolutely delightful. Great job. I recently found your blog and will follow more often. I would love it if you would pop on over to mine and perhaps follow me too. That would be great. Hugs, Chris

    ReplyDelete