Sugar Cookie Recipe: Yield - depends on size of cookie cutters being used
3 Cups Flour
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1Teaspoon Baking Soda
1 Cup Butter - room temperature
1 Cup Sugar
2 Teaspoons Vanilla
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, salt, and baking soda.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 3 to 4 minutes).
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- Add the flour mixture and beat until you have a smooth dough.
- Divide the dough in half and wrap each half in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for about one hour or until firm enough to roll.
- Set oven to 350, and roll out the dough. Use the cookie cutters of your choice and then bake for about 6 mins. You want them to still be really soft and just lightly brown around the edges. Dont overbake or they will be crispy.
- Decorate and Enjoy!
Royal Icing with Egg Whites:
2 Egg Whites
2 Teaspoons Lemon Juice
3 Cups Powdered Sugar, sifted
- In a bowl, beat the egg whites with the lemon juice until combined with a hand mixer.
- Add the sifted powdered sugar and beat on low speed until combined and smooth.
- The icing needs to be used immediately or transferred to an airtight container as royal icing hardens when exposed to air. Cover with plastic wrap when not in use.