Monday, April 11, 2011

Cranberry Orange Oatmeal Cookies

So this cookie recipe is my mothers.  Every year she hosts a fundraiser at the UCSD Cancer center called the Mad Hatter Tea Party which supports the Healing Foods Kitchen.  It is a great event where you get to decorate these colorful paper mache hats, then sit down for a delicious tea.  Every year I help her make tons of cookies, scones, brownies, cakes and of course tea sandwiches.   All of the recipes have been modified by my mother to be healthy but still taste delicious.  This recipe makes 4 dozen cookies and only has 1/4 cup of butter.  That is almost unheard of in the baking world.  Instead of butter, the recipe uses orange juice to keep the cookies moist while also adding flavor and nutrients.  I had a friend call these cookies trail mix breakfast cookies because they are so delicious and healthy that you don't feel guilty eating a cookie for breakfast.  My mother also makes a very delicious deep dark chocolate cookies that is flour-less and butter-less.  I will posting that recipe soon too!  Anyway, these cookies are delicious and healthy all in the same bite!   If you live in the San Diego or Orange County area and are interested in attending this event let me know and I can send you all the information.  It is Sunday, May 15th and I hope to meet some fellow food bloggers there!


Oatmeal Cookies with A-Peel
Yield: 4 dozen
Ingredients:
1 cup sweetened dried cranberries (such as Craisins) or raisins
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter or stick margarine, softened
2 tablespoons honey or light-colored corn syrup
1 large egg
1 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup whole wheat pastry flour 1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups regular oats
1/3 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
¼ cup chocolate chips - (I used 1 cup)
1 tablespoon grated orange rind
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare baking sheets.
  2. Combine cranberries and orange juice in a bowl; cover and let stand 10 minutes.
  3. Beat the sugars and butter at medium speed of a mixer until light and fluffy. Add honey and egg; beat well. Stir in cranberry mixture.
  4. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add the oats, walnuts, and orange rind; stir well. Add to sugar mixture; stir until well-blended.
  5. Drop by level tablespoons 2 inches apart onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 8 minutes or until almost set. Cool on a wire rack. 
  6. Enjoy!!


5 comments:

  1. These kicked up oatmeal cookies sound so good. Oh how I wish I lived closer to the SD area so that I could attend. It would have been so much fun to finally meet you in person. Maybe one day . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so good and sound healthy too. Love the combination of cranberry and orange flavors. I want to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A cookie that I can justify eating tons of? Count me in! I don't have whole wheat pastry flour... do you recommend regular whole wheat or bread flour or regular flour or should I not subsitute?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going to make these tomorrow... is it 350 (as you stated in the beginning) or 375 (as you stated at the end)?

    ReplyDelete